14 Oct Protect Your Skin against the Autumn Chill
Changing your skin care products is as important as changing your wardrobe during the different seasons. Just like you have distinct summer and winter clothes, you also have a separate range of skin care products for the different seasons.
The sudden dip in the temperature during the enchanting autumn season can be a bit of a shock to the skin. The chilly air during autumn contains far less moisture and hence, dryness and chapping are common problems during these months. The onset of the wet and windy season means that your skin needs that additional layer of protection to remain nourished and moisturized.
This doesn’t mean you have to spend a fortune on expensive lotions and moisturizers. One of the most effective and natural ways of protecting your skin against harsh weather conditions is by using natural carrier oils.
The science behind using carrier oils on the skin
The surface of our skin is covered by a layer known as the hydrolipidic film, which is a combination of water, sebum, and consists of a colony of friendly micro-bacteria. It is this protective layer that forms the first line of defense against harmful bacteria. When you gently apply natural carrier oils onto the skin, it further fortifies this protective layer.
While the common perception of using oils on the skin is that they make the skin greasy and amplify an oily complexion, in reality, carrier oils have high moisturising potential whilst also supporting the natural pH balance of the topmost layer of the skin, which can actually help to balance oily skin. Some of these carrier oils contain natural nutrients that mimic or resemble those found in the hydrolipidic layer of the skin. This makes these oils invaluable for our daily skin-care regime, and are also perfect for nearly all skin types.
Which are some more of these protective and nourishing oils?
Several vegetable oils that we don’t usually consider are actually super foods for our skin especially during the autumn season.
• Argan oil: Often called ‘liquid gold’, argan oil is rich in proteins. It protects and tightens the skin and helps to normalize sebum production. It has a restorative effect on skin and promotes younger-looking skin.
• Jojoba oil: jojoba oil deeply moisturizes and nourishes the skin without making it appear greasy.
• Rosehip oil: Wonderful as an overnight oil during those chilly autumn nights, rosehip oil regenerates skin cells and softens wrinkles and fine lines. Its powerful nourishment prepares the skin for the colder winter season.
• Macadamia oil: Macadamia oil is great for dry skin as it gets absorbed easily and replenishes the skin with nutrients from within. Cold-pressed macadamia oil contains 20% palmitoleic acid which makes it a must-have companion for the autumn and winter seasons.
• Moringa oil: Similar to olive oil in properties and benefits, moringa oil is lighter in consistency. It also contains palmitoleic, oleic, and linoleic acids which are compounds that make the skin super supple and smooth.
When and how to apply aromatherapy carrier oils?
There is not strict rule as to when you can use these oils. Mornings and evenings or before you head to bed are all good times. Just a small amount of oil is required for maximum results. However, regularity and consistency are needed to see great results and maximum benefit.
You can increase the potency of these carrier oils by adding a few drops of essential oils of your choice as well. You can also combine carrier oils and create your own blends which bring together complementary properties of these oils. However, they must be used only after thorough cleansing of the skin.
You can gently massage a few drops of the oil of your choice on a clean face and neck. Do this twice a day for at least 30 days to notice visible improvement in the feel and appearance of the skin.
It’s not just your face that needs the protection and nourishment. Apply these oils all over the body but especially on the legs, feet, arms, and hands as these parts tend to become dry and rough as the autumn season kicks in.
The carrier oils we have suggested are especially helpful for dry and mature skin that needs all the care and protection against changes in the weather. Ensure you use them regularly to protect against the autumn chill and to prepare your skin for the harsher and colder winter season ahead and enjoy soft, supple, and healthy skin all year round.